What does accessibility really look like?

Since everything began reopening in the UK I have been continuously asking myself this very question, to be honest this question has been at the back of my mind for quite a few years now; a question that has become louder as my condition has deteriorated. What does accessibility mean? Is there ever really a one size fits all approach or solution? And I think most importantly of all, is accessibility synonymous with disability? 

I want to address the last question first, mainly because it really irks me when something "accessible" is known as "disabled". Maybe I'm being a massive hypocrite, a little sanctimonious perhaps, because I too call it a disabled loo or the disabled entrance. But that is because, (and here is where I will try to successfully justify my reasoning) I need to use it because I have a disability. To me that is it's purpose, that is why I need access to it. But there may be many other reasons why someone may require an accessible or adapted loo. Why someone with a pram may find it ten times easier to walk up a ramp than a flight of stairs. Why someone without a disability may need an accessible option.

Seeing as I have started with my last question it just makes sense that I now answer these questions in reverse, and thinking about it it actually adds to the overall coherence and flow of this article. Is there ever really a one size fits all approach or solution? I ask this because, as a walking aid user, I get disheartened and frankly a little bit frustrated every time I see a wheelchair ramp but no handrails by the stairs. Tired of attitudinal barriers, of the stereotyping that all disabled people must have the same needs. Just drained of having to explain myself as I don't "look disabled" (what does that even mean?) or because I choose to enjoy life in a way that does not conform to society's idea of how life should be like for those with a disability.

So finally, what does accessibility mean? This is such a difficult question because in my opinion it is entirely subjective. How can anyone other than the person themselves really and truly understand their needs? The answer is they can't. My needs will be vastly different to the next person, disability or not.  But we can all do our little bit to help make our world more accessible for those who need it to be. We may not ever achieve 100% accessibility but we can try. So below are a few ways you can help make life a bit easier for us:

Don't litter -  This is obviously very environmentally important but random pieces of litter on the floor are trip hazards for some of us.
Put your bins away- (if you can) Bins, yes all of them, again are major trip hazards and also make the pavements even narrower.
Please don't stare- This should be fairly obvious, if you are genuinely interested then ask (tentatively, think before you speak)
Be considerate- What could make someone feel more at ease? If you don't know just ask! Similarly, try to bear in mind what your friend/family can or cannot do when making plans (always make sure it's accessible).

 

Comments

Popular Posts