An Old Soul- Do chronic illnesses mature us?

Throughout my previous post I discussed how chronic illnesses may infantalize us, how we maybe regress back to a child like mindset because the balance between the care and support we receive and that which we are able to offer is often disproportionate. I'd like to suggest another point of view, a view that may be seen as paradoxical when in fact, I believe that, maturity and infantilization (in this context) often go hand in hand. Since publishing my last post a large proportion of the feedback alluded to something that I had already anticipated. Many readers were willing to share a different angle, arguing that they felt that their illness had compelled them to mature more quickly. Chronic illness does do just that, in one sense you remain dependant on others, often causing a feeling of infantalization; but on the other hand you quickly learn to distinguish between the trivial and the important things in life, enhancing maturity. Now, both the former and the latter are equally as important and worthy of discussion.

From a young age whilst others were consumed with their social life I had to also juggle my illness, quickly learning to think ahead, anticipating the consequences and carefully behaving in a way that would not exacerbate my condition. And if I made the wrong decisions I would suffer the consequences.  In some ways my health problems probably helped me stay out of trouble and have shaped my more cautious personality. Routine appointments and the overwhelming fatigue mean missing out on events, this is often disheartening as I am not able to take part in some activities that others my age are doing. However, over time this has strengthened my mental and emotional maturity, learning to enjoy my own company rather than relying on others to fill my time. Liaising with various doctors, nurses and other healthcare professionals from an early age without doubt strengthened my social skills and confidence early on, at a time when others may have relied on their parents as the mediator.

I believe that the physical aspects of chronic illnesses result in the infantalization of the individuals depending on the care and support offered out by others; and although mental and physical illness' go hand in hand (Lord knows I have my fair share of bad days) mental and emotional maturity are often stronger due to the perseverance and courage that come when living with a chronic illness.


Comments

Popular Posts