Why the strikes aren't just hindering my learning

The ongoing strikes have affected me and many others during my first year and more significantly during my final year at university. As if this university stuff wasn't stressful enough right? How can UK universities act as if though they are businesses, embodying some business-like principles and treating students like clients but then on the other hand not refunding all their paying customers? Am I missing something?

Strikes are stressful enough and although I completely understand the necessity for them, the consequences are only negatively affecting all those indirectly involved.  But we all know very well how it's affecting the majority of students, some of us may have experienced this disruption to our £9,250 a year education whilst others may be sat on the sidelines in disbelief thinking 'glad I chose an apprenticeship'. However, I want to discuss a minority group who, perhaps like me are finding the strikes even more stressful and disruptive than most.

Having to teach myself a whole module is inhibited by my impaired information processing. Wrapping my head around an unknown topic which is normally explained in detail by a lecturer with expertise in that field will take me around a week when it could be taught in just under a few hours. Consequently I lose interest because quite frankly I'm not a professional teacher with the ability to simplify and breakdown theories and concepts.

Planning my day around a chronic illness is a chore itself, before taking into account deadlines, lectures and all that jazz I must first take into consideration a few things that others may take for granted. Will I have enough energy that day? Did I get enough sleep last night or will I need a nap? Is where I'm going accessible- where are the toilets?! The strikes are undoubtedly an inconvenience for everyone but the are doing more than just disrupting my learning. The strikes are affecting how I plan around my illness, the disruption exacerbating my fatigue often leaving me frantic and worried about re-arranging my day.

As a student with mobility issues I am allowed taxi journeys to and from university each day, booking these journeys in advance. So you can imagine my frustration when I'm dropped off only to find the lecture has been cancelled. Drivers aren't always available at the drop of a hat to collect me and take me back home, this has often meant that I have been waiting around to be taken home, meaning the 'work' that I could have been doing whilst my lecturer was on strike just doesn't get done; and by the time I do make it home fatigue will have taken over and that's me done for the day.

Employment prospects as person with a disability are more limited anyway let alone without the potential for achieving the best possible grade being taken away from us.

Comments

  1. Walking sticks are mainly made of metal and carbon fiber. But you will also find different types of wooden walking sticks. You will find every type of walking stick in our online. Just visit our site and choose what walking sticks you want. Walking sticks UK

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts