'Special', but not in a good way

Special assistance, special needs the list goes on.  I'm not sat here waiting for a gold star. I've never been given a medal because life is more challenging for me than for most. Yes I have additional needs, but no one's good at everything. Everyone needs help in one way or another, and if you don't, well then you're the special one.

For years now I've avoided this additional help that I often desperately need, dodging the label 'special' like the plague. Trying my hardest to keep up with everyone else, determined to shake off any stereotypes that may come with disability. But then, the time comes when I'm at the airport and without fail I'm asked if I will be requiring special assistance whilst I travel today. I'm past that total stage of denial where I'd rather struggle instead of admit I need help. Trust me, I'm very aware that I have additional needs, but still, a sense of embarrassment runs through me as I reply timidly; aware of my "otherness".

Now, I'm not quite sure what makes these needs so special? You don't go to a cafe in a foreign country to be asked "Do you need special help with reading the menu today?". I'm tired of feeling ashamed for needing additional help. I'm tired of teachers referring to those who need a bit of help to process information as "special". I'm tired of feeling like a burden or an inconvenience just because of this label.

So here's a suggestion, instead of the adjective special lets swap it for something that holds less connotations. A word that does not evoke pity from others but simultaneously acknowledges a very natural human need for help. Additional assistance, additional needs- everybody's got them. Changing the way in which we regard these needs, substituting one word for another really helps normalise them, bridging the gap between "us" and "them".

I'm tired of feeling "special", but not in a good way.




Comments

Popular Posts