Me, my stick & I

Anxiety. Anxiety was the all-consuming emotion for days on end before my end of year ball. The thought of having to entertain myself whilst everyone else got up to dance was a thought that made me question why and was there any point in going? The apprehension and fear of tripping over my dress was overwhelming. Stressing that all the other girls would tower over me in their heels (which most of them took off anyway).

So why did I go? Why was I going to put myself in a situation that could potentially upset me? The answer is because I can, and I wanted everyone to know it. I wanted to show myself and everyone else that having a disability doesn't mean you can't join in on the fun (and look 10/10 fabulous whilst doing so).

Earlier this year Selma Blair (the bitchy one who turned out to be nice in Legally Blonde) went to the Oscars looking absolutley stunning sporting a fabulous floor-length gown, a matching cape and to the delight and awe of so many, a black walking stick.

Selma was serving looks at the Oscars and no one can deny it. Up until that moment (well, as far as I'm aware) walking sticks have been used by a handful of celebrities as fashion accsessories. This has never made me feel uncomfortable for actually depending and relying on mine but I can imagine it did for many.


Selma's brave choice to turn up to (and slay) the Oscars was an inspiration to me and to so many others. She served as an advocate, showing that you can still look like a queen and use a walking aid. That her MS wasn't going to define her and it deffo wasn't going to stop her.

Reminding myself of this I plucked up the courage to put on my floor-length gown and and I too went to the ball! Ataxia wasn't going to stand in my way that night and with this in mind (just like Selma) it deffo didn't stop me from having fun and serving looks.  I felt amazing that night, confident and glamorous.












So many people are under the impression that having a disability, whether it be mental or physical, means that you can't have fun like everyone else. Indoctrinated by stereotypes featured in the mainstream media promoting 'the ideal woman' and instilling a sense of what 'normal' and what 'beauty' is. From a young age we are fed an unrealistic idealogy of perfect which is woven into every Disney Channel show I've seen.

I hope the likes of Selma (and maybe even this blog post?) can inspire others who maybe aren't feeling so confident, due to any reason not just disability, to embrace their difference.
(also PS. I did get up on that dancefloor x)

                                                                              

Comments

Popular Posts