disABLED

I think we can all agree that the term 'disabled' doesn't hold many positive connotations. I'm not saying that it (directly) has negative connotations but no one can deny that there is still a stigma when it comes to disability. So why use the adjective 'disabled' before the word 'person'? I share many common values, morals and characteristics with other 'able' people? Having a disability is just one part of me, as much as being a brunette is. But how come that would be defined as a "person with brown hair"?

By using the word 'disabled' before the person or thing you describe, (in my opinion and experience!) you're immediately setting expectations and shaping an idea about that person. You are instantaneously forming a subconscious prejudice against that person.

I did it. I'm ashamed to admit it but I did, I know and am friends with people with disabilities but I did see a divide. And before last year I was on the other side of that divide. I fell into the trap of not seeing the person before their disability. I saw the term 'disabled' and the stereotypes jumped out at me. I pitied those who weren't as able, possibly even patronised them. They could lead amazing lives, achieving amazing things. But I didn't see that, all I had was this preconceived idea, the idea that their lives weren't as fulfilling as mine. I was so blinded by this helpless stereotype that I dismissed all their other wonderful characteristics.

It makes my blood boil when I get on the bus and see a certain area reserved for "disabled people". It ostracises "us" and "them". By putting the adjective before the person you are defining that person. A definition that may not be wholly accurate. The adjective 'disabled' may make up 0.1% of an individual.

The fear is that the term "disabled people" is undoing the work that many have done to fight the stigma surrounding those with disabilities. Those who haven't got any relationship with others who are physically/mentally more challenged may, through no fault of their own, be more ignorant and more likely to exclude, bully and reject those who don't fit societies norms. If all these people encounter are labels that society uses to categorise individuals and the (often inaccurate) stereotypes they see in memes, films and the media then it's no wonder why there is still a taboo surrounding disability.


I see it as a pie chart,being disabled can make up a small part of who you are and even if you take away a slice of the pie you are still left with many other fabulous attributes. Attributes that are overshadowed when people see the word 'disabled' before anything else. 













Comments

Popular Posts