As graceful as a hippo in a ballet class (dear 7 year old me)

From a young age I was clumsy, I'm convinced that even without Ataxia I'd be extremely clumsy. The amount of dishes I've broken, the amount of times I've tripped over my laces is laughable. But when I was younger I was part of the school's gymnastic team and roller skated every weekend (okay the little Lycra blue dress did persuade me and who can say no to a pair of sparkly pink roller-skates?!), when I was younger I took part in dance shows and competitions, went on bike rides and went ice skating everything was more difficult for me and I never understood why I wasn't as graceful as everyone else and why I found everything SO much more difficult than everyone else; but 7 year old me still thought "I AM AMAZING, I AM UNSTOPPABLE, I CAN DO ANYTHING". Sometimes I wish I could go back, re learn how to have that mentality; I often think if I wasn't so self conscious, if I didn't worry about tripping over, if I still thought I was the most amazing girl to ever walk this Earth then maybe I could deal with my Ataxia in a more positive way. Nowadays I struggle with "real" problems; I can't really control my hands when writing, I can't stand still without trembling and walking in a straight line is out of the question! But instead of being my own cheerleader I bully myself. "WHY AM I NOT AS NEAT AS EVERYONE ELSE? WHY CAN'T I THROW AND CATCH A BALL NORMALLY? WHY AM I DIFFERENT?" If 7 year old me could hear me now she'd laugh; 7 year old me would have wanted to be different, 7 year old me HAD to be different. So what's changed? I don't belong in the adult world, I still need people to do things for me, as much as I want to be I am not fully capable of doing things without assistance, I have learnt that it's okay to ASK FOR HELP; I am slowly learning to not underestimate how kind and understanding people can be, a different person surprises me everyday when it comes to me telling them about my condition. I may not be as graceful as a ballerina, I may be the hippo among them but (7 year old me get ready for this) I think I'm starting to realize how amazing I am!

Comments

Popular Posts